Freshwater Crayfish 11:i
Freshwater Crayfish 11:ix
List of Reviewers
Freshwater Crayfish 11:xi
List of Participants
Freshwater Crayfish 11:xii
THE 7TH STURE ABRAHAMSSON MEMORIAL LECTURE
1. Adaptive success within the cambarid life cycle.
By James F. Payne
Freshwater Crayfish 11:1-12
PART I. LIFE HISTORIES
2. A giant's tale: The life history of Astacopsis gouldi (Decapoda: Parastacidae) a freshwater crayfish from Tasmania.
by Premek Hamr
Freshwater Crayfish 11:13-33
3. Life history and population dynamics of the signal crayfish, Pacifasticus lenuisculus, in Lake Billy Chinook,
Scott D. Lewis and Howard F. Horton
Freshwater Crayfish 11:34-53
4. Life history and population biology of red swamp crawfish, Procambarus clarkii, in a Mediterranean reservoir.
by Maria Ilheu and Joao Manuel Bernardo
Freshwater Crayfish 11:54-60
PART II. DISTRIBUTION AND ZOOGEOGRAPHY
5. History of the range extension of Orconectes rusticus into northwestern Ontario and Lake Superior.
By Walter T. Momot
Freshwater Crayfish 11:61-72
6. Habitat relationships and Distribution of the crayfish, Orconectes propinquus, in the Saint Louis River, Minnesota, U.S.A.
Frank J. Kutka, Carl Richards and George W. Merrick
Freshwater Crayfish 11:73-82
7. The crayfish component to an endangered aquatic ecosystem of the southeast United States.
by Keith A. Crandall
Freshwater Crayfish 11:83-86
8. The Cahaba River of Alabama: A microcosm of impact studies.
By Joseph F. Fitzpatrick, Jr.
Freshwater Crayfish 11:87-98
9. Distribution of crayfish of the genera Astacus and Pacifastacus (Astacidae) in Lithuanian waters and spreading of the species Orconectes limosus
by Aloyzas Bursa
Freshwater Crayfish 11:99-105
10. Crayfish fossils and burrows (Decapoda: Cambaridae) Upper Jurassic Morrison Formation, Colorado Plateau, U.S.A.
By Stephen T. Hasiotis and James I. Kirkland
Freshwater Crayfish 11:106-120
11. A short note about crayfish burrows from the Paleocene-Eocene, Clarion Formation southwestern Utah, U.S.A.
By Stephen T. Hasiotis and Thomas M. Gown
Freshwater Crayfish 11:121-129
12. Three American crayfish species in Switzerland.
By Thomas P. Stucki
Freshwater Crayfish 11:130-134
PART III. GENETICS
13. Genetic variation within and among crayfish species.
By Keith A. Crandall
Freshwater Crayfish 11:135-145
14. Population genetics of the Murray River crayfish, Euastacus armatus.
By Mardi Versteegen and Susan Lawler
Freshwater Crayfish 11:146-158
PART IV. ECOLOGY AND POPULATIONS
15. Diel and seasonal variation in the food habits of crayfishes in a Missouri Ozark stream.
by Gregory M. Whitledge and Charles F. Rabeni
Freshwater Crayfish 11:159-169
16. The effect of food availability on survival, growth, activity and the number of mature females in crayfish populations.
by Per Nystrom and Wilhelm Graneli
Freshwater Crayfish 11:170-181
17. Behavioral ecology of the white-clawed crayfish, Austropotamobius pallipes, in a Tuscan stream: preliminary results.
by Francesca Gherardi, Fabio Villanelli and Paola Dardi
Freshwater Crayfish 11:182-193
18. Factors affecting the selection of pond snail prey by signal crayfish.
by George F. Warner
Freshwater Crayfish 11:194-202
19. Monitoring a population of Procambarus clarkii (Decapoda: Cambaridae) in Sao Miguel (Azores, Portugal).
by A. C. Costa, A. M. Correia and M. L. Rodrigues
Freshwater Crayfish 11:203-212
20. Stock, size, composition, diseases and parasites of crayfish,
Astacus astacus, Astacus leptodactylus, and Orconectes limosus in Lithuania.
by Aloyzas Bursa
Freshwater Crayfish 11:213-218
PART V. PHYSIOLOGY
21. Post moult exoskeletal mineralization in adult noble crayfish, Astacus astacus, in
three lakes with different calcium levels.
by T. Taugbol, S. B. Waervagen, A. N. Linlokken and J. Skurdal
Freshwater Crayfish 11:219-226
22. Proximate analysis of freshwater crawfishes and selected tissues with emphasis on cambarids.
by Jay V. Huner, Helena Kononen, Paula Henttonen, Ossi V. Lindqvist and Japo Jussila
Freshwater Crayfish 11:227-234
23. Oxygen uptake inhibition in Procambarus clarkii, red
swamp crayfish, by biodegradable surfactants: an ecotechnocological approach for population control in rice fields.
by Julio C. Fonseca, Joao C. Marques and Vitor M.C. Madiera
Freshwater Crayfish 11:235-242
24. Oxygen consumption in juvenile Procambarus clarkii and Procambarus zonangulus.
by Mickie L. Powell, David W. Kraus and Stephen A. Watts
Freshwater Crayfish 11:243-248
PART VI. WATER QUALITY - ENVIRONMENTAL INDICATORS
25. Are the relative abundances of orconectid crayfish better indicators of water quality changes than cambarid abundances?
by Keith M. Somers, Ron A. Reid, Sheila M. David and Ron Ingram
Freshwater Crayfish 11:249-265
26. The physiological condition of crayfish, Astacus astacus, in warm waste waters of
a steel works in northwest Finland.
by Tarja Wiikinkoski, Paula Henttonen and Helena Kononen
Freshwater Crayfish 11:266-273
27. Comparison of relative crayfish toxicity values.
by Arnold G. Eversole and Benjamin C. Seller
Freshwater Crayfish 11:274-285
28. A non-harmful chemical method of red swamp crayfish, Procambarus
clarkii, population control and non-target organisms problematic in the lower Mondego River Valley, Portugal.
J.A. CABRAL, P. M. ANASTACIO, R. CARVALHO and J.C. MARQUES
Freshwater Crayfish 11:286-192
PART VII. REPRODUCTION-MATURATION
29. On the postural effect induced in female Cherax destructor
by serotinin and octopamine.
by Tom Mcrae
Freshwater Crayfish 11:293-298
30. Control of ovarian maturation in the yabby, Cherax destructor (Clark).
by T. G. Mcrae and B. D. Mitchell
Freshwater Crayfish 11:299-310
31. Mating capacity in male noble crayfish, Astacus astacus,
under laboratory conditions.
by Mikael Svensson and Rolf Gydemo
Freshwater Crayfish 11:311-318
32. Fecundity of Finnish noble crayfish, Astacus astacus,
and signal crayfish, Pacifastacus lenuisculus (Dana), females in various natural habitats and in culture in Finland.
by R. Savolainen, K. Westman and M. Pursianen
Freshwater Crayfish 11:319-338
33. Comparative analysis of reproduction of narrow-clawed crayfish,
Astacus leptodactylus Esch. (Crustacea: Decapoda: Astacidae), in its eastern areas.
by Anatoly Aleknovich and Victor Kulesh
Freshwater Crayfish 11:339-348
PART VIII. BEHAVIOUR AND MORPHOLOGY
Interactions between the introduced yabby, Cherax destructor, and the endemic crayfish, Astacopsis franklinii, in Tasmanian Streams.
by William Elvey, Alastair M.M. Richardson and Leon Barmuta
Freshwater Crayfish 11:349-363
35. Interspecific agonistic contests between male,
Cambarus bartonii bartonii (Fabricius 1798) and Cambarus robustus Girard 1852 (Decapoda, Cambaridae) crayfish and the possible competition between the
two species in Ontario.
by Radu Cornel Guiasu, David W. Dunham and David W. Barr
Freshwater Crayfish 11:364-377
36. Variation in pleonite width in wild noble crayfish, Astacus
astacus, females in relation to glair gland development.
H. Niskanen, A. Mannonen and J. Jussila
Freshwater Crayfish 11:378-383
37. Morphometrics of red swamp crayfish from a temporary marsh (Donana National
Park) S.W. Spain and a temporary stream (Pardiela Stream, S. Portugal).
by Pedro Jaoquin Gutierrez-Yurrita, Maria Ilheu, Carlos Montes and Joao Bernardo
Freshwater Crayfish 11:384-394
PART IX. GROWTH AND NUTRITION
38. The relative influence of age and body size on the instantaneous growth rate in signal crayfish, Pacifastacus leniusculus.
by Lennart Edsman
Freshwater Crayfish 11:395-402
39. Patterns of growth in juvenile Australian crayfish, Cherax quadricarinatus, during nutrient deprivation and recovery.
by Mark E. Meade and Stephen A. Watts
Freshwater Crayfish 11:403-416
40. The effect of dietary lipid level on the growth and survival of juvenile marron, Cherax tenuimanus.
by Ravi K. Fotedar, Louis H. Evans and Brenton Knott
Freshwater Crayfish 11:417-427
41. On the factors affecting marron, Cherax tenuimanus, growth in intensive culture.
by Japo Jussila and Louis H. Evans
Freshwater Crayfish 11:428-440
42. Microflora in the digestive tract of freshwater crayfish.
by L. Mickeniene and J. Syvokiene
Freshwater Crayfish 11:441-450
PART X. DISEASES AND PATHOLOGY
43. Granulomatous hepatopancreatitis: immune response of the crayfish, Astacus astacus to a bacterial infection.
by Gunter Vogt and Melanie Rug
Freshwater Crayfish 11:451-464
44. Light microscopy of Astacus astacus L., under normal
and selected pathological conditions with special emphasis to porcelain disease and crayfish plague.
by B. Oidtmann, M. El-Matbouli, H. Fischer, R. Hoffman, R. Klarding, I. Schmidt and R. Schmidt
Freshwater Crayfish 11:465-480
45. Morphology and prevalence of Psorospermium sp. in farmed and wildstock freshwater crayfish
populations in Western Australia.
by Louis H. Evans and Japo Jusilla
Freshwater Crayfish 11:481-493
46. Occurrence and relative abundance of Psorospermium haeckeli
in Lithuanian crayfish.
by Ramune Bucinskiene
Freshwater Crayfish 11:494-500
PART XI. CRAYFISH HARVEST AND MANAGEMENT
47. Catching season restrictions as a tool in crayfish management.
by Jostein Skurdal, Trond Taugbol and Erik Garnas
Freshwater Crayfish 11:501-511
48. Size and maturity selectivity of different harvesting methods on the White River crayfish, Procambarus acutus.
by William H. Daniels, Bernard R. Petrosky and Donald E. Wujtewicz
Freshwater Crayfish 11:512-523
49. The effect of flooding date on crayfish, Procambarus spp.,
production in southern Louisiana experimental ponds.
by Jay V. Huner
Freshwater Crayfish 11:524-542
50. Relaying crayfish: summary of an intercropping approach.
by W. R. Mcclain and P.K. Bollich
Freshwater Crayfish 11:543-549
51. Effects of formulated feed on crayfish production in South Carolina.
by Michael R. Denson and Arnold G. Eversole
Freshwater Crayfish 11:550-566
PART XII. AQUACULTURE
52. Soft crayfish production by eyestalk ablation: can it be profitable?
by Jeffrey L. Gunderson, Carl Richards and Michael McDonald
Freshwater Crayfish 11:567-576
53. Investigating polyculture of marron, Cherax tenuimanus, with silver perch, Bidyanus bidyanus, and an
aquatic macrophyte, Vallisneria sp.
by Glen J. Whisson
Freshwater Crayfish 11:577-586
54. Sustainable aquaculture: crayfish farming.
by Rex H. Caffey, Robert P. Romaire, and James W. Avault, Jr.
Freshwater Crayfish 11:587-598
55. Aquaculture of the noble crayfish, Astacus astacus L., in Lithuania.
by G. Mackeviciene, L. Mickeniene, A. Burbas and G. Korieva
Freshwater Crayfish 11:599-607
56. Crayfish, Procambrus clarkii, effects on initial stages of rice growth in the lower
Mondego River valley (Portugal)
by P.M. Anastacio and J. C. Marques
Freshwater Crayfish 11:608-618
PART XIII. POLICY AND STATUS
57. New legislation to conserve the native crayfish in Britain - will it work?
W. Rogers and D. M. Holdich
Freshwater Crayfish 11:619-626
58. The development of crayfish culture in Sweden during the last decade.
Freshwater Crayfish 11:627-654
59. Distribution and proposals for the conservation of Austropotamobius pallipes pallipes in a French Department.
Frederic Grandjean, Michel Bramard and Catherine Souty-Grosset
Freshwater Crayfish 11:655-664
60. Status of foreign crayfish in France.
Jacques C.V. Arrignon
Freshwater Crayfish 11:665-670
61. Present status of Austropotamobius pallipes (Lereboullet) in Portugal.
Joao Manuel Bernardo and Maria Ilheu
Freshwater Crayfish 11:671-680